February 12, 2022 @ 8:30 am - February 19, 2022 @ 4:30 pm
This workshop is designed to introduce newcomers to the process of TIG welding. It’s enough to give you the knowledge, and confidence needed to start working with this fun, but challenging metal joining process. Our top-notch instructor uses a proven combination of lecture, and hands-on training during this 16-hour course.
Topics Covered Include:
- Welder safety
- The TIG Welding Process on steel, stainless, and aluminum
- TIG Equipment: Component descriptions, and their variables
- Machine set-up
- TIG Torch set-up, tungsten types, filler material, cup options, and their variables Butt, Edge, Lap, Tee, and Corner joint configurations in the flat/horizontal positions
- Proper technique, live demonstrations, and one-on-one training
- Weld discontinuities, and their remedies
- Brief demonstration of MIG and Stick welding
Safety Equipment Included:
- Students will use studio-owned welding jacket, gloves, safety glasses and auto-darkening helmet during the class.
- Students must wear boots/closed toe shoes (excluding cloth shoes, crocs or sneakers).
- Students must wear jeans (no sweatpants, leggings, or shorts permitted).
Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) welding, also known as Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) is an arc welding process that produces the weld with a non-consumable tungsten electrode.
Saturdays, February 12 and 19, 2022
Academic & Workforce Development Center, 318 Madison Avenue, Elmira, NY
**IMPORTANT** SUNY COVID VACCINATION POLICY states that you must be fully vaccinated to take classes in-person at any of our SUNY CCC campuses. You will be asked to submit proof at the time of registration.